Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What's my legal standing as a grandparent to my teenage daughters daughter?

Can anyobody advise me on my legal position. My daughter is 15 and lives at home with me with her daugter (7 weeks old).


My daughter has suddenly turned against me and honestly all I have done is totally support her in this shocking situation, and I have not spoken of my support or required praise I have just done EVERYTHING I can (and silently sacrficed a lot) and suddenly she has gone off of the rails (gone off getting drunk etc - and it is not how I brought her up) and I am concerned about my granddaughter - I need to know I can protect her OK if ever needed be. Can anyone offer suggestions please. Thankyou.What's my legal standing as a grandparent to my teenage daughters daughter?
From the very beginning I would have made it perfectly clear that this baby was my DAUGHTER'S responsiblity not mine. It is one thing to be supportive and quite another to take over. Sounds to me like in your effort to be supportive you have taken over the raising of your grandchild. Not a good idea. If you felt that your daughter was incapable of being responsible for a baby then you should have either had her abort or put the baby up for adotpion once born. As far as legally, legally your daughter is an emancipated teen (her pregnancy emancipated her). So legally there really isn't much you CAN do unless she signs over guardian ship to you, which sounds good on paper but at any time during your guardian ship your daughter can decide to pack up and move AND take her daughter with her because she IS the biological mother. I suggest giving her an ultimatum. If she doesn't ';step up to the plate'; and become responsible for raising her daughter tell her she will have to put the baby up for adoption. I know that at this point you probably don't WANT to do that you could attempt to adopt the child yourself but I doubt any attourney would advise you to do so because again at any time during that child's life your daughter can come along and demand her parental rights back and being the biological mother is in a position to get exactaly that. Had it been my daughter, she would be going to school then coming home and tending to her child. The child would be in day care during her school hours because I work fulltime and am not going to quit my job and but MY future in jeapoardy because she can't take care of HER responsility. I would also seek child support from either the father of the child or his parents, as well as partial payment for day care. I would be there to help out my daughter with learning her own parenting skills but I would never take over. I raised my child and if and when she decides to have one of her own (she is now 20) that pregnancy/baby will be HER responsiblity not mine.What's my legal standing as a grandparent to my teenage daughters daughter?
Document everything! Get in touch with social services and talk to a worker. If you decide to adopt or get guardianship of the child do it legally so your daughter does not change her mind in the future, and the child becomes a ping-pong ball.


Having a baby at 15 is hard. Good luck.
Listen, Im 16, and my best friend had a baby when she was 15 too and the same thing happened to her. Her mom came to me and asked me to talk to her and see what was going on. My friends main problem was that the stress was way too much and she didn't tell her mother that the father of the baby told my friend that teh baby was her choice and that it wsa her fault that she got pregnant. When she first got pregnant, her was totally suppportive and told her that he would be there for her and not to worry because they would go through this thing together... Needless to say that she broke down and I am going to admit that I am very phisical and the next time I saw him I slamed him in the face. Anyway, You should either sit your daughter down and see what is wrong, or go to one of her close friends to find out for you. If those don't work, sit her down again and forcefully and sternly tell her that she is a mother adn that it is not right for her to go off and party when her obligation is to her child. Explain to her that she could have gotten an abortion but that would not have solved anything. And if worse comes to worse tell her about your sacrifices for her. And tell her that you did that because you loved her and her child deserves that same love from her.
Im 19 having my first kid in June, im so scared about being a good parent with my boyfriend. I couldnt imagine having a baby at 15, and i was no saint at that age.


Sorry to say but you should have raised her with better morals at 15.
Legally you have no rights to your granddaughter because of US Supreme Court rulings a few years ago. However if you can show that your daughter is an unfit mother due to her drinking all the time the Courts can transfer full custody over to you.
I'm not sure about your position legally, but it sounds like your daughter has begun to realise what having a child means and maybe she's finding it very hard to cope with the shock.
go talk to the courts and get custody of your granddaughter..it may be a lot better this way.


in most states you can go talk to an attorney FREE the first time to ask questions..and see if you like the attorney..so maybe you may have to see two or three attorneys with different questions ...for FREE...before you know what you want to do..and if it was me..I would get FULL custody of your granddaughter..and maybe adopt her too..


and then you can decide with the courts what to do about your daughter..if she is going to stay at home or maybe go to a group home WITHOUT THE BABY ( but she can not continue doing what she is doing and stay there..she needs to walk the straight line..now! ) ..you keep the baby..but do it legally..PLEASE....


and do it fast...like MONDAY..make a lot of telephone calls..


please...you DO NOT NEED YOUR daughters permission to look into this and to get all of this started..and if may be even better if you do not tell her anything about your plans to take her daughter....and maybe the courts can observe the ways she is acting....


good luck


and


God Bless
This is a complex situation and I don't want to risk giving incorrect advice. I would go to the citizen's advice bureau as soon as you can - they will be able to tell your exactly your rights in this position. I wish I could be of more help but the situation is very delicate and I don't want to misinform you!


Good luck with this!
sorry, but judging by the fact your daugter is 15 with a kid and is being difficult when you're being such a great mother/grandmother...you really need to get your grandaughter away from your daughter. There's probably nothing legally you can do. Judging by your daughter's charector, she'll probably run off without her kid eventually anyway. so sorry about your situation.
well shes 15 and drunk i recomend legal action to gain custody of her daughter from her. this ismplifys the matter and is a simpler issue than youd think (legally speaking )
shes probably in ';shocked mode';which is a phase teen age mothers go thew within the pregnancy and first yar of having the baby but you can help and take responsiblity of the baby





GOOD LUCK
Your daughter needs to see her doctor. She may have Post-partum depression. Not sure what kind of anti-depressants that a doctor would be able to prescribe for her at this age because teens react differently to them than adults do. I would tell her that unless she gets her act together that you will be taking her to court to get custody of your grand daughter.
Unfortunatly i know in the UK that Grandparents dont have any rights in normal circumstances.


However this is quite an unusual case and with you daughter being a minor herself you may be able to do something.


I know of somebody who actually adopted her grand daughter as her daughter went the same way, but you really need to get legal advice.


Im so sorry for what is happening to you, and really do wish you all luck.
the best thing you can do is get your daughter back on track!!!!


phone social services annonomously with your concerns, keep to the facts and not your opinions, say that you think a shock treatment would benefit her,,, that way when the social worker comes out it will be an annonomous complaint..... if the social worker is straight enough then if your daughter cares for her child it will be enough to shock her into being a mum for her child,,, if she doesnt then by all means just be there for your grandchild,,, but also be there for your child it must be hard for her too but dont take over
In my own experience, which hasn't been much, and I live in the state of MIchigan. I'm not sure where you're at. Grandparents do NOT have many rights to grandchildren. However, I'm not sure how different this is when the mother is a minor. HOWEVER, I DO know, if you're really concerned and need some help, I would suggest speaking to an attorney to see what they say your rights are since you're daughter is only 15.





If you DO feel that she's out of control and abandoning her 7 week old child, I wouldn't hesitate to try to get legal guardianship of the child. This would protect your grandchild from being raised in an unsafe environment. Furthermore, i would encourage you to find out what is going on with your 15 yr old. It may not be anything YOU'VE done, but rather something else. She may be overwhelmed with a new baby and realizing how much of her childhood is gone. I would seek some help of a counselor and find some time for you to take a breather.





Whatever the outcome is ..... good luck to you. I can't imagine what you're going through right now.
have you taken over? do you put your daughter down ?? sorry for answering a ? with ? LET HER KNOW YOPU LOVE HER AND R THERE 4 HER and let her take over with her daughter
There is not much you can do legally.. Unless you want to try and prove her being an unfit mother and/or abandoning her child (keep in mind your daughter will hate you, oh for the rest of her life.. and it will ruin the relationship you two have)..





i was the same age as your daughter when i had my son.. first thing i did.. was ran out.. got drunk and so on.. just wait it out a little bit as long as your granddaughter is being taken care of (fed, diapers changed).. let your daughter go through her stage.. when you are that age and you have a baby and then you realize that life as you knew it is over.. and there is no turning back.. you go party.. you go through a little stage.. PERSONALLY i would let her go through that stage for a little while.. let it take its course.. what my foster parents did was waaaaaay extreme.. and they told me to get out.. i would not kick her out like they did to me.. what i would do.. is i would make her get a part time job if she doesn't already have one to pay for diapers and let her see what it is going to be like out in the real world..


HAVING to be more responsible and HAVING to pay for the diapers and the formula.. at first she will naturally be mad but she is going to realize that working parttime and when she pays for daycare she isn't going to have anything left to raise her baby.. once the reality sinks in.. it might take awhile and a lot of fights.. she will either step up and be a good mommy.. or she will just want nothing to do with parenthood..
go and see a family solicitor all you can do is seek legal help
Up to this point, you've given her the opportunity to show that she is responsible enough without you stepping in. Obviously she has let you down. I know it sounds sorta harsh, but use a little tough love, and tell her you will get CPS involved, and get custody of her child if she does not step up and be responsible parent. I know it sounds rough-but you are protecting her in a way, you're protecting her relationship with her daughter by making sure it will be a healthy one and making sure that she won't get her baby taken completely out of her life.
When I was at school my friends 13 year old sister had a baby - her mother was it's legal guardian as her sister was too young to have legal responsibility for it, so if it's custody you think you might need, the sooner applied for the better before she is of age - hope this helps
Legally you are responsible for your adaughter and her daughter as she is still a minor. To discipline her at this time is too late. You are her mother ofcourse and it is usually painful to whatch our children go through things and feel helpless. You need to reassure her that you are there to help and not to judge. Extra effort of care and understanding will bring her around. Just make sure that the baby is given the care needed and not do anything that jeopordize them both. Doing anything harsh might turn her against you and may resent you for it later. If you are religious prayer always works. Put it in the hands of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment