Sunday, August 22, 2010

Why do some teenage boys find humor in hurting animals?

Not all of them do this, but I've noticed this behavior in some teenage boys. It's something I've seen since I was a child, and now my son is a teenager and he's told me about a few things his friends have done, so I wonder why they do this stuff? It's not just about the way things are right now with video games, television and violent movies, because I've noticed this over the span of 20 years or so...Is this behavior a sign that something is wrong with these kids?Why do some teenage boys find humor in hurting animals?
It can be a sign of sociopathic behavior, but a lot of kids go through phases like this, because they feel weak and powerless, and torturing animals is a way of feeling powerful. Most kids with a conscience realize what they're doing is terrible, and grow out of it. It's a way for them to discover that consciousness of an other's feelings. It's the ones who don't seem to have any empathy for the other's suffering that you have to watch out for.Why do some teenage boys find humor in hurting animals?
Kids are just staying immature and taking longer to grow up these days. I have guy friends who would always ask to come over and hang out for awhile. (They're 18) Why? I live on a chicken farm and sadly, they ask for the chance to kill them. These are the type of people that find even the smallest thing amusing and never think before they act. Luckily, not all guys are like these. I personally feel like puking at the sight of a dying animal and refuse to let them do this.


Games certainly have no effect on this. I play more games than all these guys put together. Unfortunately, I believe this will be more common in future teen boys. These friends of mine are the type who have plenty of time to have fun and few to work. They take almost nothing seriously and will look for any chance to have fun. The best advice I can give to parents of these teenage boys is make them work so they can mature and take more things in life seriously. Yes, teens should have time for fun, but not all the time.
It might be because they don't see animals as living things. They see them more as just objects of amusement, toys.


I'm 18 and I never remember hurting things being fun....


I've had pets since I was little though, and I saw/see them as part of the family. I think this taught me that animals are similar to humans, they feel pain and sadness.





I don't even like hurting spiders, but I do try to kill cockroaches and mosquitos whenever I see them.





Peer pressure can be a terrible force though. It's what makes gangs of teenagers so dangerous and scary, it multiplies their bad side.





Best thing I can suggest is to make sure your children learn to see animals as living things so they will be disgusted when they see them getting hurt. This will, hopefully, keep them away from those sociopaths through their own choice.
It's probably just a stage where young males experiencing puberty are trying to assert their power and independence over other living things. Small animals are the easiest because they don't fight back. However, some youths may do the same things to other human beings. A frightening factor is that girls are beginning to show the same traits at a young age. They usually grow out of it, but a few continue on as adults and usually run afoul of the law.
I dont think it is a sign that something is necessarily wrong. I think that something like this is hard-wired in a lot of boys.





But, without properly guiding this energy in a positive direction, like organized sports, a real job, music lessons, or something along those lines, it could turn into something much worse.





Just my personal experience as a 30 y/o male.
I think no matter what the age it is absolutely wrong to hurt animals for pleasure. I don't think it is TV or video games... it's more than that. My brother is 16 and he has never taken pleasure or enjoyed hurting an animal... and he plays the most violent of video games.





Those kids need to see a councilor to figure out where all the bad thoughts are coming from. They are obviously acting out from something!
Sociopathic behavior. They need a shrink. Report these kids who are harming animals. It's one of the ear-marks of a serial killer. ANYONE WHO HURTS ANIMALS and enjoys it should be arrested.
It all starts at home. The example that parents set regarding the treatment of animals influences a child's behavior. I can never comprehend how anyone can injure a defenseless animal. Obviously, anyone who does this has serious issues.
because they like too feel power and the only way they can do this with a 95% chance of not getting in trouble is too hurt animals.





also they are really immature and play too many video games





X
No empathy? Sociopathic behavior? The beginning of young serial killers?
Because he's psychotic, and is an aspiring Michael Myers.
I wouldnt do the things, bt i find some things amusing.


yh its because of internet and video games.
If it becomes pleasurable, or habitual then I would worry.


Boys will be boys...but they shouldn't be killing dogs and such. That's just sick.
I cant stand that crap, i used to be a boy, i cant understand it... maybe they have small penis's and are angry at the world
Often it stems from feeling powerless. Children don't have any power in their own lives growing up. They can feel power by hurting an animal in the same way they feel hurt all the time. They also let out their frustrations.





Generaly it's one or two that really want to harm an animal and the rest follow along. The head child will be the meanest and no one wants to cross him. That child makes harming an animal about power and about proving themselves. Many times some of the other children wont' want too or won't participate fully.





Most of these children who want to harm animals have been beaten themselves. The only way they keep their sanity during those years are by releasing it out on something weaker than themselves.





These children rarely hurt only animals but other children as well. They'll grow up to harm others in their lives. Spouses, children and whomever they can.





There's no good solutions. Most are not mentally ill or any type of *path... though it almost seems easier to classify them as such. Call them crazy instead of extremly hurt human beings. You don't have to care about them if you call them crazy, call them hurt and you might actually care and that makes most people run. Often times if a child can find someone to love them and give them a hand up in life, the harming others and animals stop. But it has to be done early in life, age 9 and older it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment